Pediatric Care Models
Our children are our greatest and most precious resources; they require nurturance, protection, support and encouragement to become happy, vibrantly healthy people. Medical research, technology and pharmacology have increased our life expectancy and eradicated many of the infectious diseases that caused early mortality.
Medical School, Residency training and years of clinical experience produces pediatricians who are very competent at ordering and interpreting medical tests, prescribing medications to suppress symptoms, and treating childhood infectious diseases. Thankfully, most children are basically “ healthy” and if not there are pediatric specialists who specialize in organ systems, gastroenterologists for digestive disorders, cardiologists for disorders of the heart muscle , allergists who specialize in suppressing the part of the immune system that causes allergic symptoms, and psychiatrists or behavioral specialists to suppress anxiety, depression and other behaviors which seem to interfere with a child’s wellbeing.
But anyone who cares for children knows that this model of pediatric care is not focused on creating healthy, happy, energetic children and families.
Some of the Ways that WellnessCare Pediatrics Differs from the Standard Pediatric Practice:
- Medications have side effects, which can occur immediately or become apparent over time, even long after the medication is finished. For example, antibiotics are sometimes necessary but they are not always completely harmless. Children with digestive distress are often prescribed drugs that adults use for heartburn. These drugs prevent the absorption of critical vitamins and minerals. Dr. Hennie will always provide complete information about treatment options to allow parents to make an informed choice and decide which option they are most comfortable with.
- Dr. Hennie is very knowledgeable about immunization controversies, risks and benefits allowing for parents to make informed consent.
- In standard medicine, the pediatrician spends 10 minutes or less with the child and most visits are focused on symptoms. This usually leaves the parent and the child feeling hurried and unsettled. Dr. Hennie will spend 20 to 30 minutes at a visit and she believes that careful and frequent follow-up is important.
- There are many symptoms that pediatricians are taught to ignore such as stomach aches, constipation, runny nose, irritability, sleep disruption, anxieties, lack of energy or focus and so on. For Dr. Hennie, any symptoms are a clue to imbalance and should be addressed.
- Childhood, which we now know lasts for the first 25 years of life, is a time of rapid growth and development and each child is unique. It is during childhood that the foundation for a lifetime of good health is established. Conversely, ALL of the chronic diseases of the 21st century begin in childhood including hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, fatigue, chronic pain, depression, insomnia, autoimmune disease and even cancer. Dr. Hennie offers careful, comprehensive pediatric care which includes protection from environmental toxins; development of healthy, sustainable eating patterns; establishing and maintaining movement and exercise habits; and recognizing both the physiological and the psychological effects of negative stress on a growing child.
- There is so much information available about health, wellness and illness and parents can become overwhelmed by this information. Dr. Hennie will provide up-to-date, clinically-proven information about illness and wellness to help parents make informed decisions about their children’s health.
- Hennie is dedicated to teaching each of her patients to understand their own bodies and the importance of self-care and of nurturing and respecting our precious bodies.
To Make an Appointment
Dr. Hennie is honored to provide integrative, holistic pediatrics as a member of The Midwives of New Jersey. Dr. Hennie will be seeing children, adolescents and young adults between the ages of 0-21 for both well and sick visits. She will be working exclusively out of our Hackettstown office.
To make an appointment with Dr. Hennie please call 908.509.1801 or fill out an appointment form.
About Dr. Hennie
Dr. Hennie is a graduate of Cornell University and holds a B.A. in Medical Ethics; she later received her M.D. in 1981 from George Washington School of Medicine in D.C. Against the advice of her East Coast colleagues, she decided to do a Residency in Family Practice, which was a brand new specialty. She chose Family Practice because it was the only postgraduate training that included exploration of the effect that health or illness has on someone’s personal life. She completed her internship and residency at The University of New Mexico Family Practice Residency program and at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland Ohio.
Through working with school kids and their families and in the National Health Service Corps, Dr. Hennie realized that she needed to broaden her understanding of the root causes of illness and that “wellness” is not achieved by being on the right medications!
In 2003, she began studying Integrative Medicine with Thomas Rau MD and was certified in European and Biological Medicine. She then created an Integrated Health Center, which included a dentist, acupuncturist, chiropractor, sound therapist and movement specialist. She is certified in Functional Medicine (for information please visit the resources pages at https://www.functionalmedicine.org ) and in Integrative Oncology (https://bestanswerforcancer.org).
She moved to New Jersey in 2014 and spent 3 years working in Integrated Medicine at Morristown Memorial Hospital. Dr. Hennie is excited to join The Midwives of New Jersey so that she can again focus on Women’s and Children’s Health.
Dr. Hennie truly believes that modern health care needs to be expanded to include an understanding of systems biology, of individual uniqueness and the interconnectedness of body, mind and spirit.
What Our Clients are Saying About Dr. Hennie
Throughout both of my pregnancies, I looked forward to every visit with the midwives. The time and attention spent getting to know each other made me feel comfortable, knowledgeable, and prepared for each birth. I felt like we were building a relationship in addition to getting trusted, quality healthcare. When I first took my kids to their own doctor, I felt such a difference. We were just another family, another appointment, getting weighed and measured, and getting out. I have been searching for a better option, and I finally found it with Dr. Hennie.
Dr. Hennie is providing my children with that same welcoming, knowledgeable, holistic care that I loved receiving from the midwives. She immediately made my older son feel welcome and excited to be at the doctor, as opposed to his last doctor’s visit where the pediatrician barely spoke to him. She spent an hour getting to know our family history and answering all of our questions. I feel much more comfortable knowing that if we need any medical advice, it will come from someone who thinks of us as a family and not just another patient. In addition to our wonderful time spent with Dr. Hennie, I appreciated the clean office atmosphere. I normally think of pediatricians offices as full of germs, but not at the Midwives of New Jersey! The only thing that could have been better would have been if we had seen Dr. Hennie since my kids were first born! “ – Alyssa