Massage is a drug-free alternative to pain relief for the expectant, postpartum mother, infant and child. Massage is excellent for relaxation and stress relief, and it has also been found to increase immune function, decrease stress and help alleviate many health conditions.
Why Massage is Important For Mothers During Pregnancy and Postnatal
According to the American Pregnancy Association, massage has been used for centuries to improve overall health and well-being. Therapeutic Massage can be used to relieve stress, decrease muscle tension and relax the body and mind.
As women prepare for pregnancy, stress can play a role in fertility. Regular massage can be used for general relaxation of the body and mind. Women, who include massage as part of their wellness plan, benefit from a reduction in stress and an increase in relaxation hormones. Studies show that massage is not only safe throughout pregnancy but is also recommended for the many benefits it provides to pregnant women.
Benefits of Pre/Postnatal Massage
- During pregnancy women often experience a decreased level of anxiety and depression, decreased joint pain, and improved sleep.
- Reduces mental stress and anxiety
- Alleviates stress put on weight-bearing joints
- Relieves muscle cramps, spasms, and pain in the lower back, neck, legs, and hips
- Increase in blood and lymph circulation, which can reduce swelling
- Improves outcome of labor and eases labor pain
- Relieves shoulders and neck pain resulting from carrying/breastfeeding a baby
- Helps to restore the uterus to its original state
- Reduces fluid retention
- Reduces stress hormones
- Supports healthy lactation
We offer both hour-long sessions of full body massage, as well as fifteen minute therapeutic massage sessions for specific ailments and discomforts you may be experiencing. Common complaints during pregnancy are sciatica pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, back pain, headaches, leg cramps and swollen ankles. Massage is a drug-free alternative to help find relief from these discomforts.
Who Is a Candidate for Massage?
Women are welcome to come for a massage for relaxation during all stages of life. Our massage therapist specializes in therapeutic massage for common pregnancy discomforts, as well as prenatal, postnatal and infant massage.
Our massage therapist is available on Mondays by appointment between 9am and 1pm. Call the office at 908-509-1801 to make an appointment.