Did You Know that Sperm Counts have Dropped 75% on Average Since the 1930s?
Troubling …. Isn’t it??
There are many medical causes that can affect male fertility including varicocele, chromosomal defects, untreated infections and medications, to name a few. But there are many other epigenetic factors that affect the overall health of our cells, including sperm. These factors include diet, exposure to toxins, stress, and electromagnetic force emitted from electronic devices ( like the cell phones that are so often placed in our front pockets).
Male sperm is constantly being produced, however, it actually takes 80 days for sperm to mature for their big day! During that time period, men have the ability to optimize the development and health of their sperm, which in turn will improve the quality and amount of sperm produced. Likewise, sperm are equally vulnerable during this period and are susceptible to the effects of poor nutrition and exposure to toxins.
Here are 4 Easy Things You can do to Improve Sperm Health in the Next 80 Days:
- Avoid environmental endocrine disruptors: Did you know that common pesticides used to kill weeds in our lawns, or found on our non-organic produce contain xenoestrogens. These are chemicals that actually bind to our hormone receptor sites, instead of our own hormones. This, in turn, affects the hormonal balance in our bodies and our fertility. Be sure to eat organic produce, don’t use pesticides on your lawn, avoid plastic bottles and food containers, use glass or stainless steel instead!
- Avoid performance enhancing supplements. Anabolic steroids and hCG injections are well-known substances to avoid, but even some OTC supplements can contain DHT which will also negatively affect your fertility and health.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners, soda and high-sugar energy drinks. Drink water instead!!
- Keep your cell phone out of your pocket and away from your body! Place it on a table or in a bag as much as possible.
The Midwives of New Jersey are Committed to Your Health and Fertility.
This September we will be offering a comprehensive program to provide couples with alternative, wellness-based guidance to improve your overall health. This, in turn, will improve your body’s ability to conceive another human being without outside interventions. This can also reduce complications during conception and pregnancy.
We would like to invite YOU and your partner to join us this September for our ‘How to Make a Baby’ program. You will join our Nurse Practitioner, Veronica and Wellness Advisor, Sharon, in a 2-night informational event followed by a private health assessment/physical exam and nutrition counseling session.
We will cover pertinent topics related to holistic, intentional conception:
- Stress management
- Body movement
- Male and female fertility
- Fertility nutrition
And answer all of your questions!