We believe our practice is one of the best choices for a healthy birth in New Jersey. This is because we provide our clients with the highest quality of care and a full complement of birth options and services.
The Midwives of New Jersey work with most insurances except Medicaid and Medicare. We are paid by our clients’ insurances all the time. The major insurance carriers that generally cover our services very well include:
- Horizon BC/BS
- Empire BC/BS
- United Healthcare
- Cigna Health
- Horizon Omnia
Many other insurance companies also pay the Midwives for the excellent care and outcomes they provide their customers. We are also paid by health sharing plans and TriCare. New Jersey teachers, law enforcement officers and people who work for the state of New Jersey are consistently covered for our services. Uninsured? We will help you navigate your situation in the best way possible. Fill out the form below if you have questions for us about your insurance.
In the past, the Midwives of New Jersey worked with clients with community insurance plans until it became impossible both financially and professionally. We are unable to accept Medicaid or Medicare for 3 reasons:
- Rules made by Medicaid itself require patient to use an in-network provider to order certain tests like ultrasounds.
- New Jersey has some of the lowest Medicaid/Medicare reimbursements in the country.
- Midwives in New Jersey cannot practice without a formal agreement with an Obstetrician. Our consulting physician group, OneCare OB/GYN, will not back us for patients with Medicaid plans/HMO’s. We must include the fact that this is an excellent physician group and the only group to graciously back private practice Midwives in most of northern New Jersey.
The Benefits to Our Clients in Choosing the Midwives of New Jersey
The level of care that we provide is far beyond that of many other providers and includes:
- Relaxed, longer prenatal visits. Most women have 12-14 prenatal visits in a pregnancy so our pregnant clients spend at least 7 hours getting to know their providers prior to the labor.
- Our offices are homey and comfortable & our staff is friendly and accommodating. The Midwife Assistants work in our office answering phones, making appointments and keeping the office running efficiently.
- We collect our client’s lab work in the office. This saves our clients from having to go to an outpatient lab.
- Our high level of care results in superb outcomes for our clients. In 2021, our overall cesarean rate was 13%, in a state that has an average rate of 33.2% (2019 data). Our Vaginal Birth After C-section (VBAC) success is 89.4% in a state where VBAC is almost inaccessible. Our rate of labor induction is 18%. Induction of labor is strongly associated with Cesarean birth. Even when we do induce labor, we are careful to go slowly, using finesse rather than muscle to coax a baby into the world vaginally. View all of our stats by clicking this link.
- We are change agents in New Jersey. We are growing throughout New Jersey to be more accessible to more women offering birth choice not otherwise available in their area.
- Our clients have the choice of every birth option available. These options include hospital birth (Morristown Medical Center, birth center birth (Our Birthing Center), Homebirth, Waterbirth and VBAC deliveries.
- We have offices in Mount Olive, Madison and Guttenberg. The Midwives of New Jersey are growing to give Midwives the opportunity to practice according to the Midwifery Model of Care. Many Midwives hired by physicians are required to use the Medical Model for their practice so that they are simply physician extenders. Cochrane database reports that the medical evidence “suggests that women who received midwife-led continuity models of care were less likely to experience intervention and more likely to be satisfied with their care with at least comparable adverse outcomes for women or their infants than women who received other models of care” (Source). Through our support of Midwifery, we are Improving Birth Outcomes in New Jersey!
- We deliver our own babies; never do we have another practice cover us. When our clients arrive at the hospital or birth center, we plan to be one of the first faces that our patients see. The Midwives stay with our clients in labor and help women manage their discomfort. We work hard to create an environment that a woman can comfortably labor and give birth. The Midwives are strong supporters and advocates of natural childbirth. Our clients achieve their labor goals regularly. We bring a Midwife Assistant with us to the birth to be a help to our client, her partner and the Midwives. She is a trained labor doula and birth photographer and she is familiar because our clients interact with the Midwife Assistants regularly throughout their pregnancy.
- Our care after the baby is born is exceptional. We see our clients the next day after the birth and the 2nd day if necessary. For homebirths and birth center births, we go to our client’s homes the next day to check on Mom and Baby so they don’t need to come to our office for follow-up. We then plan a 1-week postpartum visit and 6-week postpartum visit. We provide lactation services both private lactation consults and a weekly gathering called Lactation Circle which is a great place to get advice and support both from a lactation consultant and the other clients at the circle. MotherCare is a complimentary 4-week series of classes following delivery that addresses the many stressors of the postpartum period, offering kind advice and social support. We have a professional photographer come one week to take pictures of the moms and babies and they are given to clients as a gift. We teach baby-wearing and infant massage and then we have a party the last week. MotherCare is one of our most popular offerings.
- Non-judgemental support for parents. We have Playgroups (click here to join our facebook group) at various times during the week.
For more information about our financial policies, please register here for a free orientation